No clear way to do a Many to Many relationship

I’ve been struggling with Ragic for the last few days trying to get a Many to Many relationship to work…

Previously I had tried to follow these directions…
https://www.ragic.com/intl/en/doc-kb/103/Referencing-two-sheets-at-once

I know there’s a fix being worked on in regards to this so in the meantime I tried to build a Many to Many using 3 tables.

Classes
Students
Class_Student (join table holding foreign keys to both Classes and Students)

The tables looked like this…

Classes
Class ID
Class Name

Students
Student ID
Student Name

Class & Student
CS ID
Class ID
Student ID

With the “Class & Student” table I did 2 different link and loads to the “Class and Student” table.

So now the “Class & Student” table looks like this…

Class & Student
CS ID
Class ID
Class Name (loaded from Class table)
Student ID
Student Name (loaded from Students table)

I then created 2 “multiple version” from this “Class & Student” table to try to display the correct field order that I hoped would work with creating a Subtable under both the Classes and Students tables.

The first variant I called------------------------

Students & Classes 1:M

And I hid the "CS ID" primary key so that in sheet view it would look like this

Class ID	Class Name

The 2nd variant I called--------------------------

Classes & Students 1:M

Likewise I hid the "CS ID" and it looks like this

Student ID 		Student Name

I went back to the Classes sheet and then tried to insert the “Students & Classes 1:M” sheet
into a subtable by using Link and Load.

Unfortunately it would only allow me to drag and drop the original “CS ID” primary key that I was trying to hide by using “multiple versions”.

There was no way for me to do a custom join by trying to drag and drop the Class ID from this join table into the Students subtable row.

It would be really nice to have a fix or a clear direction on how to do Many to Many relationships properly…

Thank You!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, we’ve received your support ticket, Ragic support will reply from the mail.

1 Like