Link to a record to a new record in a separate table via an browser pop-up modal window
*Instead of via a new browser tab*
The workflow for linking a current record to record in another table currently involves:
- Clicking on the field’s drop down arrow
- A modal dialog box appears in the browser window, which allows the user link to a record in another table via:
A) Searching for a record in the modal dialog box’s search form (smooth process) or
B) Clicking the “new record” button (cluncky and awkward because of the additional steps hereafter)
- Clicking “new record” (above step) opens a new window outside to the current window;
- once the user is finished creating the new record in the newly opened browser tab, user saves the record, then closes the tab to complete create the link.
REASONS FOR CHANGE
The proposed design for the new linked record form:
- Would be intuitive, and prevent creating a new tab (to a possibly already numerously tabbed interface)
- Would prevent the user from loosing focus of the MAIN task (the current design is awkward and by using a completely new tab simply enter a new linked record, the interface is shifting away from the focused record).
- Would give the user access to any information underlying the current form (user would just drag the from out of the way to see any needed information in the parent record).
- The current design is little more than a new tab in the linked table, opened to the “new record” form view, making it possible to navigate out of the new record view, and making for a confusing user experience.