External Users Right with Linked Fields

Hi, I have questions regarding external users’ right with linked fields between 2 sheets.

For example, sheet A contains the information of chain restaurants, and sheet B is for local branches. So when external users such as local branch owners create entries for their branches in sheets B, I want them to be able to select the name of the restaurant(i.e. KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, etc) from the existing info from A. I used “Select from another sheet” and linked to the “Name” field in sheet A.

However, since external users can only see their own entries. Unless they create something in sheet A, they are not able to select from the existing list from sheet A.

How can I achieve this goal? Thanks!

Hi,

You can grant “View” access right to external users in sheet A so they’ll be able to view the entries that are not created by them.

Hi! Thank you for the reply.

However, I want external users to be able to select(not just viewing existing entries) from a linked field. Using the example I mentioned above:

While external users are creating entries in sheet B, I want them to be able to select from an existing list from Field “F1”, sheet A as the value of Field “F2” in sheet B.

Right now, I made the field type of F2 “Select from other sheet” and linked it to F1. I created 3 entries in sheet A with F1 values X, Y, Z. But when external users created their entries in sheet B, they don’t have selection options X, Y, Z because those were created by me, not them. Therefore, they are not able to select existing values at all.

If I set external users as Viewers, they lost the access right to create their own entries, right?

Hi,

Just for confirmation, do those users need to create entries in sheet A as well? Or, they only need to select an entry from sheet A?

For now, external users will only create entries in sheet B. Sheet A will be handled by an admin.

Let’s say:
I, as an admin, created entries in sheet A and had a field of restaurant names: KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, etc.

External users, as chain restaurant owners, will create entries in sheet B. I want them to be able to select whether it is a KFC or a McDonalds, etc.

However, everything in A was created by me. They don’t see anything while creating their own entries even though I linked to the “Restaurant Name” field in sheet A.

Hi,

If that’s the case, please grant “Viewer” access right to external users in sheet A so they’ll be able to view the entries that are not created by them. (Granting them with “Viewer” access right in sheet A won’t affect their create/edit access rights in sheet B.)

As long as they could view those entries, they’ll be able to select it from sheet A when they create entries in sheet B.

That solves my problems for now. Thanks!