Date entry - UK date format

I’ve setup Ragic to use UK English settings/formats and am using Google Chrome with the language set to English (UK).

Do I need to do something else to have Ragic correctly interpret dates entered in d/m/y format?

For example, if I enter 8/4/21 (8 April 2021), Ragic interprets this as 4-Aug-21 (as if the date was entered in m/d/y format).

I know I can enter 2021-04-08 or 8-Apr-21 (both are interpreted correctly), but my users are used to using d/m/y dates and it’ll be a struggle to get them to change.

Is there a way I can configiure Ragic to use d/m/y date entry?

Hi,

You can modify the date format yourself. Please set your Field Type as Date, and refer to this guide to change the Formatting to the format you need, d/M/yy.

I understood that to be the display (OUTPUT) format, which I have set to d-MMM-yy.

I don’t want to display dates as d/MM/yy, but given that the rest of my account is setup for the UK, I’d like to INPUT dates as d/MM/yy and for Ragic to NOT assume that 8/4/21 is August 4th…

Is that possible?

Hi,

If you set the field format to dd/MMM/yy, the system will automatically detect and modify it to day/month/year instead of month/day/year.

Or is this not how you want it to be presented?

If the above explanation does not meet your requirements, please provide a detailed explanation of your needs, along with specific examples and usage scenarios, so that we can better understand your request.

Thank you.

Hi Benson,

Thanks for your suggestion, and it’s a decent workaround. I played with the date formatting, and it seems that RAGIC decodes correctly (e.g. 3/4/23 = 3 Apr 23) when “dd” is the first entry in the format string. This seems to work for dd/MMM/yy and dd-MMM-yy. It doesn’t work for d/MMM/yy or d-MMM-yy (at least not in my setup).

You asked whether I could provide a detailed explanation of my needs with examples and usage scenarios. It’s reasonably simple:

• Ragic should allow any valid date format to be entered for date display; AND,
  • Ragic should correctly decode dates entered as 9/9/9 depending on the account or user locale.

In other words, Ragic should separate date INPUT from date DISPLAY.

INPUT should be driven from an account setting (using the timezone, information about locale etc.) or driven from browser language, ensuring that application-wide, entry of 3/4/23 (for example) is correctly interpreted as either 3-Apr-23 (for a UK locale) or 4-Mar-23 (for a US locale).

OUTPUT should be driven by the existing field setting, taking the stored date value and formatting as specified.

The workaround of using “dd” within the format string works for now, but it’s restrictive in that it combines INPUT and OUTPUT when ideally the two should be separated.

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed response; we understand your requirements.

However, separating the INPUT and OUTPUT operations might not be feasible since different countries or companies may have different conventions for INPUT formats, and this could lead to difficulties in date recognition by the system.

Instead, we would like to offer an alternative solution. You can use Multiple Versions to differentiate between forms used by users in the United States and those in the United Kingdom. In the U.S. version of the form, you can set the date format as MMM/dd/yy, and in the U.K. version, set it as dd/MMM/yy. Both versions will share the same data.

We hope this alternative approach will be helpful for you. Thank you.

Benson, thanks for your suggestions, and I’m happy to use the existing functionality as you suggest.

I have one remaining question - what’s the difference between using dd/MMM/yy and d/MMM/yy? Could Ragic be updated to allow both options (with or without leading zero on the day) and have them work the same way?

Thanks.

Hi,

The difference between dd/MMM/yy and d/MMM/yy is exactly as you mentioned, whether there is an additional “0” before the day.

You can try both formats to see the difference, thank you.