Check for existing Record when creating a new one.

Hi,
i have a Form which notes conversations with customers. On this form there is a subtable, so when we have a new conversation the details are in the subtable. All works fine.
When we create a new conversation record the initial details are selected from the customer database. How do i check to see if there is already an open conversation for this customer. Is it a case of searching manually before creating a new record ? or is there a way to check automatically and display a warning?

Thanks

Hi,

Do you mean that each customer can only have one open conversation at a time? (That is, if there is an open conversation for the customer, you would like to prevent users from creating a new one.)

Or, you just want to check if there are any open conversations?

Hi Angie,
Yes, if there is already an open conversation for the customer , the user cant create a new one. Or is warned that one exists.

Hi,

You may follow the steps below:

Step 1. Create a “Status” selection field to recognize if the conversation is open or close.

Step 2. Create another “Check” text field with formulas:
IF(A13.RAW=“Open”,A12+A13,"")

The formulas will return a string combine “Customer” and “Status” when the “Status” is “Open”. Otherwise, returns a blank.

Step 3. Apply “Unique” attribute on the “Check” field

In the future, the system will pop-up an error message states the entry is existed already when there is an open ticket. Besides, remember to mark a conversation “Closed” when it completed.

1 Like

Hi Angie,

thanks, it doesnt work, but i see the idea. I dont know why but the “Check filed” doesnt change when i set the status to Open.

Hi,

Please share a full screenshot, including the formulas you applied and the field setting of the referenced field, so that we could help.

Here you go :slight_smile:

Hi,

The quote mark that you used to mark “Open” is incorrect.
Please try:
圖片
Note: the community system will interpret the quote automatically. Please use the one as shown in the above picture.

Hi,
that explains it as i just copied and pasted from the forum. Working now :slight_smile:
Thanks

1 Like