Cascade Selections Database

Hello all,

I am looking for an example of how to store cascaded selections and a way to update them in Ragic. Is it possible to store them in an excel file and upload them to a sheet that can be linked and loaded?

Hi,

It is not supported to import selections to a selection field.

I would suggest creating a link and load relationship with dynamic filtering applied, and then you can import your options and related field values on the linked source sheet.

Once the above process is completed, you will be able to select values based on the condition set in your dynamic filtering, which works very similarly to cascaded selections.

1 Like

Would you be able to provide a snapshot of how the data would be stored in the sheet being linked and loaded?

Hi,

Are you referring to how to set up a link and load relationship? If so, please refer to this document.

1 Like

Hello fabio,

I am not referring to the process of Link & Loading. I am curious how the data in the sheet being Linked & Loaded is stored. I am having trouble with Dynamic Filtering of that Linked sheet and wonder if it is an error on my part: that the data is not being stored properly or in a useful way.

I will try to explain my goal and question below:

I was using Selection Fields, with Cascading, to simplify for users of my form. As my lists grew, I began to wonder if there was a way (with Ragic) for me to update these cascading lists without copying and pasting them in the window (see image below).

*Is there is a way for me to update databases/lists/cascade selections without having to copy and paste into the cascade selection window? I have been told I can do that by Linking & Loading to a second sheet with Dynamic Filtering, but I am unsure how the data in the second sheet must be configured for Dynamic Filtering to work properly.

Ultimately, I am hoping to have a filter-down or cascade selection for users of the form, three levels deep. I want to manage the parent-child lists in such a way that allows me to upload and maintain my data without it becoming overwhelming or confusing.

Hi,

When using link and load with dynamic filtering, the linked field will serve as a selection field, and the dynamic filtering condition will be used to filter selections.

So if you would like to use link and load with dynamic filtering to replace cascaded selections, the dynamic filtering referenced field will serve as the parent cascaded field, which will affect the linked field that works like the child cascaded field.

1 Like

Fabio,

I understand what you are communicating. Thank you for taking time to respond; it is appreciated.

Unfortunately, I still do not understand how to organize my data in the sheet so that the data inside it is properly linked and loaded.

Hi,

Could you please describe your current link and load setting steps, what’s not working correctly now, and some related screenshots for us to refer to to better understand what you’re struggling with?

Thank you for your patience, Fabio. I will try my best to explain.

I currently do not have a Link & Load yet because I do not know how to store the parent-child cascade lists in a separate sheet. I do not know the proper layout for the dataset.

If I were to have a two-tier parent-child list resembling the lists below, what is the proper layout for this data in a sheet that I would Link & Load with dynamic filtering from?

Parent_Child_Sample
parent-child-sample2

Hi,

Your linked source sheet should look like this:

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 08.54.39

It looks more like which “parent selections” each “child selection” appears in.

Next, you will need to create another sheet and link the “child selection” field. This new sheet will need another free text or single selection field for dynamic filtering purposes. The link and load setup should look like this:

Once the above steps are completed, you can make a selection on the “Parent” field, and the filtering will be applied to the linked field, which acts like the “Child” field.

1 Like

Fabio, thank you for your detailed explanation on the dataset storage.

I will report back if I have any other questions!

Gratefully,
DLP