Having trouble with IF

I’m a brand new Ragic user (signed up about an hour ago), experienced spreadsheet user. Having trouble with IF. To keep things as simple as possible:

I have a subtable that starts in A11 (headings are in row 11).

B11 is the heading for a selection field with three possible values: None, Minimal, and Extensive.

If I set D11 to free text and use the formula B11, when I change the value in B12, the value in D12 updates just as expected, to match the value in B12.

If I set D11 to free text and use the formula B11=='Minimal', when I first look at the record, if the value of B12 is not Minimal, the value of D12 reads false. If I change the value of B12 to Minimal, the value of D12 changes to true. If I now change the value of B12 to None or Extensive (i.e., not Minimal), the value of D12 is empty (not false).

If I set the value of B12 to None, then edit the design to set D11 to numeric with the formula IF(B11=='Minimal',1,0), after I apply the formula, save and exit, and return to the form view, D12 now reads 0.0. If I change the value of B12 to Minimal, D12 remains 0.0.

I’m really confused at this point. Would somebody kindly tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Hi Christopher,

Since the B11 is selection field, you’ll need to use B11.RAW as the reference field.
For example, IF(B11.RAW=“Minimal”,1,0)

For tutorial of formulas in Ragic, you may refer to this page.