Cascading Link & Load

Is there a way to have a cascading link & load design so that one of the loaded values from a link & load triggers an automatic second link & load from a different sheet based on that loaded value? For example:

1. Cascading Link & Load:
  • Set up your primary blue L master link in Sheet A to load values from Sheet A.
  • One of the loaded fields from Sheet A (let’s call it Field X) should be a link to Sheet B.
  • Set up a second Link & Load relationship where Field X acts as a master link to load values from Sheet B.

Will the above approach work? Remember, I want the second link & load to execute without any user input needed.

AI also suggested trying the following workaround which is a little confusing:

1. Use of Form Rules:
  • Set up your primary blue L master link in Sheet A.
  • Create hidden fields that link to Sheet B.
  • Use Form Rules to automatically populate the hidden link to Sheet B based on the selection in the primary master link.
  • Set up a Link & Load relationship from the hidden link to load values from Sheet B.

I asked the AI if this would work automatically and it gave the following reply. If anyone can give me their thoughts on this workaround, please reply. I know AI often hallucinates and is very good at sounding like an expert even when giving the wrong answers lol. Thanks in advance.

Will the Use of Form Rules approach work without additional user input? I only want the user to have to select the first blue L master link value and have both resulting lookups execute automatically

Answer

Yes, the Use of Form Rules approach can work without additional user input. This method allows you to trigger both lookups automatically when the user selects the first blue L master link value. Here’s how you can set it up:

1. Set up your primary blue L master link in Sheet A.
  2. Create hidden fields that will link to Sheet B.
  3. Use Form Rules to automatically populate the hidden link to Sheet B based on the selection in the primary master link.
  4. Set up Link & Load relationships from both the primary master link and the hidden link to load values from Sheet A and Sheet B respectively.

Here’s a step-by-step example:

1. In Sheet A:
  • Client ID (visible, blue L): Master link to Clients sheet
  • Client Name (visible, gray L): Loaded from Clients sheet
  • Company ID (hidden, blue L): Link to Companies sheet
  • Company Name (visible, gray L): Loaded from Companies sheet
  1. Set up Form Rules:
  • Create a Form Rule that triggers when Client ID is changed
  • The action of this rule should be to set the value of the hidden Company ID field based on the selected Client ID
  • You might use a formula or a lookup to determine the correct Company ID
  1. Set up Link & Load relationships:
  • From Client ID to load Client Name
  • From the hidden Company ID to load Company Name

With this setup:

1. The user selects a Client ID.
  2. The Form Rule automatically populates the hidden Company ID field.
  3. Both Link & Load relationships trigger, populating Client Name and Company Name.

This approach requires no additional user input beyond selecting the initial Client ID. Both lookups (to Sheet A for client info and Sheet B for company info) will execute automatically.Key points to remember:

• Ensure the Form Rule executes quickly to populate the hidden Company ID field.
  • Field placement is crucial. The hidden Company ID field should be placed before (above or to the left of) the Company Name field to ensure proper loading sequence.
  • Test thoroughly to ensure the timing of the Form Rule and the Link & Load operations work as expected.

This method provides the automatic dual lookup you’re aiming for, triggered by a single user selection. If you encounter any issues implementing this or need more specific guidance, don’t hesitate to reach out to Ragic support for assistance tailored to your exact setup.

I think you can test out this kind of scenario using simplified new form very quickly.
In my test, it works.

Test Form 1 (Sheet A)

Test Form 2 (Sheet B)

Test Form 3:

• Your Field X of Sheet A is “Test Form 2 ID” in this case.

However, you might need to manually Select the source form of “Test Form 2” to add the Link from “Test Form 2” via the key.